Wednesday, May 13, 2015

My Name is Barbara

When I answer the phone at Job #2 I say, "Good morning, Job #2, this is Barbara." And without fail, once a week someone will respond, "Hi Margaret."

What???

If it happened once, fine. But it happens every single week. How?? I don't mumble. So maaaybe it's just a bad phone connection that's causing them to misunderstand me.

Well...

This morning before I went to work the Tiny Tots concert, I stopped at Starbucks for coffee. They asked for my name. I said, "Barbara." And this is what I got.



Now I realize the person forgot to cross the "t" but that is clearly "Margaret" and not Barbara. I don't think I look that much like a Barbara, but I certainly don't look like a Margaret. Come on people!!!!

So. To make sure we are all on the same page, let's talk about my name.

1) My name is Barbara. I think of myself as Barbara. I respond quickest when someone calls me Barbara because that is what I call myself in my head.

2) Some people like to call people by shortened versions of their name. If you are one of those people, please call me Babs (which most people choose) or Barbie (which is currently only used by Nicole and Earl but I am perfectly fine if that list grows longer). 

3) While my name is not Margaret, it is also not Barb. I do not like to be called Barb. I was named after my mom's best friend. She is Barb. Not me. And I especially don't like to be called Barb (like her) because I didn't really like her when I was little. A lot of other people go by Barb. In my mind, they are old cat ladies, which I do not aspire to be. Also Barb sounds ugly. This is a Barb...



There you have it. Just in case you forgot who was writing this blog, it's me, Barbara. :-)

3 comments:

  1. I get called Gretchen! I was at a dinner event last night....wearing a nametag....I was talking with someone who knows me. He introduced me to someone else as GRETCHEN! I actually think Gretchen is an underrated name, but it sounds even more ethnic than mine. and not the same ethnicity! Margaret is pretty but I do love my BABS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry Margaret, er, Barbara. :P I understand though...at my job I get every other week a message on my phone "Good morning Michelle"...which is kind of funny because when I was in the first grade, I desperately wanted to be named Michelle since a really pretty girl in my class had that name. Full circle I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old cat ladies sound kinda fun, Barb.

    ReplyDelete