Thursday, January 15, 2015

The lead up to "Kaddish"

My two other events are over! Yay!! They all went well, but I'm definitely glad they are over... I've had a hard time concentrating on other work-related subjects this week because of them, and I certainly have many other things I need to be paying attention to. Eep!





I'll be honest, I thought after hearing the same presentation three times in one week I'd be pretty bored, but the audience's questions were so different and inspired good discussions each time. It actually wasn't that bad!

Here's what I've learned about the Holocaust in the last week...
- Unless you were able to work, you were immediately sent to the gas chambers when you arrived at a concentration camp. So basically children and older adults never stood a chance. In fact, only one in every fourth of the Jews that arrived at the camps was selected for forced labor - the rest were gassed to death immediately upon arrival.
- The Nazi's took great interest in twins. In fact, there is a survivor here in Rochester who is a twin and said the only reason he survived was because of that fact (he went to the camps when he was a young child, so never would have survived otherwise).
- In addition to Jews, millions of others were killed in the Holocaust, including the disabled, gypsies, Jehovah's Witnesses, and homosexuals.

I guess you'd say it hasn't been the most uplifting week ever, and tonight is the concert, which I imagine will be anything but "joyful," but having been surrounded with talk of the Holocaust all week long, I will admit, I'm actually looking forward to tonight's performance. I'll let you know how it goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment